Jones/McCoy House Museum Project, Monterey
Click on button for a sneak peek
In 1850, Adam H. Fleisher purchased one third of town Lot 4 from James Bell. The original house built in 1850, was a log and frame structure consisting of four rooms with a central staircase.
At some point, the roof was raised, and the addition of eave brackets, two-pane window sashes, and an ornate entry porch gave the building an Italianate look.
Charles Pinckney Jones purchased the house and an additional third of lot 4 in 1873.
In 1886, a two-story addition with dining room, kitchen, upstairs parlor, and two bedrooms was added to the rear of the house. In 1911, a bay addition on the east side added two more bedrooms. A full-width two-story porch replaced the earlier version, giving the house its present-day Folk Victorian look. New indoor plumbing featured the first bathtub in Monterey.
Restored dependencies include a brick springhouse, windmill, apple storage building/cellar, and two-story outbuilding that once included housekeeper's quarters. Additional structures no longer present included a water tower, large barn, chicken house and icehouse. Natural springs on the property supplied water for the house and town for many years.
Charles Pinckney Jones served in the Virginia House of Delegates fro 1883 to 1885, Virginia Senate from 1885 to 1897 and was the Rector of the University of Virginia from 1898 to 1905. Mr. Jones inaugrated the first president of the University, William Alderman.
The property now owned by the The Charles Pinckney Jones Charitable Trust through the generosity of Mary Hille McCoy, granddaughter of Mr. Jones.